Our top 5 home natural remedies for sinus congestions
What happens during Sinusitis?
Sinusitis is often described as the swelling or inflammation which occurs around the tissues that line the sinuses.
But what are Sinuses? Well, Sinuses are small, air-filled cavities behind your cheekbones and forehead. These hollow spaces in the Sinus behind the bones of your face are normally empty- with the exception of air off course. Mucus produced by your Sinuses usually drains into your nose through small channels.
So, here is what happens when something triggers inflammation at your Sinus, these hollow spaces become filled with fluids containing yucky bacteria, fungi, or viruses – this build-up of microbes leads to an infection.
There are many remedies out there, but we picked 5 home remedies which are quick and easy, we think these would be helpful to consider:
- You should drink plenty of water. Ever heard the term, ‘Water is your best friend’. In this situation drinking lots of water will help mucous membranes function properly
- Steam inhalation – grab a towel and drape this over your head whilst you breathe in the vapor from a bowl of hot or medium water. Alternatively, jump in a hot steamy shower and breathe in steam. This may just help your blocked sinuses to drain.
- You should raise your head during sleep, this may help encourage Sinus draining
- Grab a warm towel and place it around your face may help ease swelling and inflammation
- Ever heard of a ‘neti pot’? I did some research and found that Neti pot is a small teapot-shaped device that you can use to pour a salt water solution into their nasal cavity. This should irrigate the sinus and possibly remove the build up of materials causing the blockage. Alternatively, you can try a salt-water irrigation nasal spray like Sterimar.
- NeilMed Sinus Rinse Nasal Wash Allergy Relief – 120 Refill Sachets£22.79 incl.VAT
- Sterimar Baby Nasal Spray – 50ml£5.99 incl.VAT
- Sterimar Congestion Relief Sea Water Nasal Spray 100ml£7.19 incl.VAT